I had a chance to introduce myself to a new group of people last night, so I thought I would share it here before the paper goes into the shredder. Here’s what I said to the Johnson County Food Policy Council last night:
- Native Iowan living west of Solon.
- Ten years since retiring from a 25-year career in transportation and logistics.
- Two terms on the county board of health with four years as chair. Familiar with air and water compliance issues.
- Blogger with 234 posts tagged “local food.”
- Farm worker. In 2020 on Carmen Black’s farm and at Wilson’s Orchard. Eighth season at each.
- Avid gardener with a large kitchen garden integrated with local food producers, grocery stores and other retail outlets.
- 24 percent of our food dollars are spent on local food, not including my garden.
- Mostly ovo-lacto-vegetarian.
These mini-autobiographies are getting easier to write as I age.